Tips to Avoiding an Electrical House Fire
Electricity provides far-reaching convenience — however, at the same time, it's responsible for many tragic house fires every year. You can take steps, though, to lower the risk and prevent your home from becoming a statistic. Consider the following tips.
Use Your Senses
Electricity is invisible, and the wires within the walls are hidden from view. Thus, you can't see an electrical problem directly as you can observe a broken chair leg. However, by using your senses and being alert to clues, you can respond and possibly avert disaster. Signs to watch for include burning smells, buzzing within the walls, and scorched outlets. These clues suggest that you may have a problem that an electrical services company can address.
Avoid Overloading the System
When using multiple appliances, particularly large ones such as washing machines, spread them over various outlets. Don't plug everything into the same one by using numerous power strips. Your electrical system is geared to cope with specific current strength, and plugging in too many devices can cause an overload. Typically, a circuit breaker will trip and turn everything off on that line. However, if the breaker doesn't trip as it should, then the wiring in the walls can overheat with the intense current. Eventually, this can cause smouldering and fire.
Replace Frayed Cords
Frayed cords on appliances, particularly small ones like toasters, can seem trivial and not worthy of much concern. However, one weak link can result in problems. Sparks could fly from the cord, for example, setting off a fire. Worsening the danger, some appliances run over a long period — a washing machine cycle, for example, can take two hours — aggravating the possible hazards.
Book Regular Inspections
Regular inspections are a preventative measure that can reduce your chance of fire. An electrician will scrutinize the wiring, connections, circuit breakers, and the safety switch to ensure everything is in perfect shape. Reviews are particularly crucial if you live in an old house that hasn't been inspected for a while. The safety regulations may have reformed since the electrical system was last overseen, and the wiring in wet areas like bathrooms, in particular, may not be up to date.
A house fire can cause massive damage and threaten lives, so whatever you can do to lower the risk is well worth it, particularly when they're simple things anyway. Pay attention to any burning smells and scorching, don't overload the system with too many appliances, and replace frayed cords. Additionally, booking a regular inspection with an electrical service will help to prevent your house from ending up on a fire statistic report.