Unfortunately for the DIY enthusiast, electrical rewiring is not the kind of activity for untrained professionals. Luckily for the safety-conscious homeowner, electrical safety is one of the most important aspects that electricians are trained on.
How can one know whether the electrical system in a residential dwelling needs to be rewired? This is a common question that a large number of people often have. Here are a few signs that it is time to rewire.
The Type of Electrical Wiring
Electrical wires are usually made out of copper. However, in a large number of older dwellings, the electrical connections around the house use wires made of aluminium. One of the main problems associated with aluminium wires for electrical use is that these wires are known to be prone to overheating.
The overheating of electrical wires should not be taken lightly because it could easily lead to an electrical fire outbreak. If the electrical wiring around your house was done using aluminium wires, you should definitely contact a professional electrician who will replace the aluminium wires with electrical wires made of copper.
The Introduction of New Appliances
Another great sign that you need to have the house rewired is if you have purchased and installed several new electrical appliances in recent times. Remember that the electrical system in your house as it is was not designed to support the electrical demands of the newly installed electrical appliances.
Therefore, it is relatively easy for new appliances to overload the electrical system. One of the most common signs that a residential electrical system is being overloaded is the frequent tripping of the circuit breaker on the electrical system. If you have noticed that this seems to happen often after the installation of new electrical appliances, it is highly probable that your electrical system needs to be rewired.
If you intend to install new electrical appliances, you might need to talk to an electrician first about upgrading the electrical wiring around the house.
Another sign that it's time for electrical rewiring is when you frequently get electric shocks whenever you touch an electrical outlet or when you are trying to connect something (e.g., a phone charger) to the outlet.
The frequent electric shocks are signs that there is a current leaking out of your electrical system. Rewiring can help to solve the problem of electrical current leakage, thereby making your electrical outlets safer to use.
Contact an electrician who offers house rewiring services for more information.